Sunday, December 7, 2008

Conferences

Since I've moved to Ireland its been a whirlwind of work related travel, this included a trip to The Transporters and Channels Symposia in Erice Sicilly. It was a great week, I have never seen a place so shrouded in fog an mist though, despite rest of the island being sunny. Erice is at the top of mountain and the castle is right on headland, it was the only thing visible on arrival.
The conference was held in a small centre, previously a religious building, some peole were even staying in former monks cells. I lucked out with a hotel room.
The lectures were very interesting and challenging, but it was not all work and i met some great contacts, including Shelly from Stanford and Renarta from Calgary, see pictures.
After Erice came Phys Soc main meeting in Cambridge, my old stomping ground. I was presenting my first set of data. I rode down day before conference and was stopping at my biking mates. It was fantastic riding to town everyday, don't think Prof was happy that i turned up to register in my biking gear!. Needless to say talk eventually went well, only 30 people present, but I handled the questions well and Prof was happy, so good job done. Ciaran and Ciara also enjoyed the trip and saw the sights.
I am looking forward to my next conference in New Orleans in April 09

No comments: